Non-profit Organization: Northeast Massachusetts Youth Orchestras, Inc.
Region: Northeast Massachusetts
Category: Arts Administration
Type: Part time, 18-20 hours per week (with extra hours during concert weeks)
NMYO seeks a motivated, organized, skilled professional to perform a variety of tasks to support our youth orchestra program. The ideal candidate will have solid experience with excellent verbal and written communication skills, be comfortable working with both students and adults, and have the ability to organize and implement plans from start to finish. The Music Coordinator must be able to take direction and communicate well with others in the NMYO organization – the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Music Director, Music Staff, parents, and students. Candidate needs to be well spoken, able to write solid copy, and comfortable in public settings.
This is a part-time position that requires flexibility; there are performance weeks that will be more demanding and school vacation weeks that will require less work hours. In addition, from September through May the candidate must be able to work Monday afternoons and evenings and there are some other evening and weekend hours for concert dates and special events that are required.
This position is well suited for a recent music graduate, or part-time graduate student, with strong business/organizational skills who is eager to apply their education and experience to a part-time position in a non-profit organization, or for a music educator who might have left the field to take care of family and is looking to re-enter the work force part-time. The position reports to the organization’s Executive Director.
NMYO’s office is located in Manchester, MA with rehearsals at Masconomet Regional High School in Boxford, MA. Performance venues are located in the northeastern portion of the state including Rockport, Ipswich, and Topsfield.
Education, Experience & Skills
• Bachelor’s degree with background in and understanding of music and orchestral and wind ensemble performance and management with prior stage management skills a plus
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
• A special interest in working for a non-profit organization; experience working for a non-profit a plus
• Strong organizational skills with great attention to detail
• Ability to work both independently and productively in a team environment, managing multiple projects and deadlines
• Proven ability to work well and enthusiastically with children and adolescents
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Willingness to meet unexpected demands
• Flexibility, creativity, and comfortable with public engagement
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with other team members, volunteers, and Board members as well as with people in the local business community and press
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
• Experience managing and updating social media; website skills a plus
• Graphic design skills and use of Illustrator or In Design a plus
• Grant writing experience a plus
Send resume with cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com - no phone calls please.
The mission of the Northeast Massachusetts Youth Orchestras (NMYO) is to provide young musicians with exceptional ensemble training and opportunities for personal growth through musical performance and community service.
NMYO is the largest youth orchestra in northeast Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire with student members representing more than 50 communities. NMYO provides an enriching musical performance experience for elementary through high school musicians.
Led by Music Director Gerald J. Dolan Jr., with an accomplished team of music professionals and an experienced administrative team, NMYO creates community connections and collaborations for its youth players. The regular rehearsal and concert schedule is supplemented with master classes, enrichment days, chamber music coaching, community service outreach concerts to underserved populations, and a composer-in-residence program.
Northeast Massachusetts Youth Orchestras, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.