Since 2011, several Massachusetts teachers have joined Connecticut colleagues in developing and piloting common music assessment tasks. In 2014 this project will be expanded in Massachusetts. Our MMEA Higher Education Representative, Dr. Sandra Doneski, will lead this project. MMEA will support this project through training collegiates who will help as well as teachers who wish to pilot these common music assessments.
An outline of the goals and the focus of the initiative are below. If you are interested in being part of this project, please contact Dr. Doneski at email@example.com.
In addition to the grade 2-8 work, we will begin discussion and planning of the development of high school assessments.
Goal 1: Identify and train music educators from public school districts in Massachusetts who will implement the piloted and finalized Common Music Assessments. (Chosen from tasks below)
• 2nd Grade – Rhythmic Improvisation
• 2nd Grade – Singing and Self-Evaluation
• 3rd Grade – Bass Line Improvisation
• 4th Grade – Composition and Self-Evaluation
• 5th Grade – Composition and Self-Evaluation
• 5th Grade – Singing and Self Evaluation
• 6th Grade – Singing and Self Evaluation
• 6th Grade – Improvisation and Self Evaluation
• 7th Grade – Singing and Self Evaluation
• 7th Grade – Composition and Self-Evaluation
• 8th Grade – Composition and Self-Evaluation
• 8th Grade – Singing and Self-Evaluation
Goal 2: Oversee implementation of Common Music Assessments in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade classes. Keep a reflective log with analysis of teaching strategies, student motivation, and engagement.
Goal 3: Recruit and train collegiate music education majors to assist with data collection and analysis, and assist music educators with rating of student work.
Goal 4: In collaboration with participating music educators, their school administrators and the Massachusetts Music Educators Association (MMEA), create a model process that will connect implementation of the Common Music Assessments with appropriate portions of the new Massachusetts Model Educator Evaluation System.
Please visit the following website for additional resources and information: